US Chess Discussion

Welcome! This blog has no connection with the USCF. It's a blog where I provide chess fans with general information about US Chess as well as the USCF. It's also a site where everyone can productively discuss or ask questions about various USCF issues! Your contributions and comments are welcome! PLEASE KEEP IT CIVIL & RESPECT OTHERS! Enjoy! All posts that do not meet this guideline will be deleted -- WIN WITH GRACE, LOSE WITH DIGNITY!(TM) --- 2006 Susan PolgarĀ©

Saturday, January 13, 2007

The most interesting question of the day


The following question was raised sometimes tonight on the USCF forum. In my opinion, it is one of the most interesting questions of the day:

"...So in terms of celebrity, does she deserve these articles and this PR more than any of our more active leading US players? And I likewise note that GM Maurice Ashley - who, like Susan, is relatively inactive for the moment, and is raising young children of his own in suburban NYC, just as Susan is - is often giving of himself and making appearances at chess events, and yet we don't see the same coverage of his activities as we do of Susan's. How many people realize, for instance, how much work went into the $500,000 HB Global Chess Challenge, or how much work Maurice did in NYC under the auspices of the Harlem Educational Activities Fund." Hal Bogner

I know Mr. Bogner for many years and he helped me a few times when I was younger. I always appreciate the help. My goal is to unite the members to raise the sinking USCF ship. Therefore, I do appreciate the questions, especially about Marketing & PR.

Here is my take. If I have a Business Manager (Mr. Paul Truong) who does a fantastic job in Marketing & PR (I believe he is the best Chess Marketing & PR person in the US) for events that I organize or participate in, is that supposed to be a negative or positive?

I have to say it is very positive! The size of the prize funds or budget does not matter! What matters is knowing what to do and how to do promote an event.

Therefore, in my opinion, I think Mr. Bogner just indirectly praised my business manager, Mr. Paul Truong, for doing an incredible job to promote me, the SPF, chess and my events with a micro budget instead of millions of dollars. And that also means that the USCF (which has little success in Marketing & PR) needs someone like Paul to help. This is exactly why I asked him to run for the upcoming election.

Thank you for the question Hal! Happy New Year!

By the way, Maurice did his best with the HB Global and the USCF even had it on the cover and quite extensive coverage. The problem is it did not get as much mainstream coverage as the organizers would like.
Posted by Picasa

5 Comments:

  • At Sunday, January 14, 2007 12:20:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You're becoming quite the litttle politician there, Susan. That was a very gracious statement, particularly in light of his attacks on you. I'm sure you caught the thread "Vision Statements from the Candidates".

    One interesting issue this guy raised was identity theft or as he put it

    [quote}
    "Another of those things is that there are posts on Susan's blogs that are misleading as to authorship. For example, I have been told by several people that they saw posts that they assumed were by me (marked as by "HMB"), making remarks that either seemed like ones I might make, and when I looked, sure enough, someone had made such misleadingly labelled posts. It wasn't me, though - I have never posted there. And it happens to be very widely believed that Mr. Truong has forged posts from people before - something, by the way, apparently credibly documented by Mr. Sloan over many years, though you won't be inclined to accept that as having any possible validity."
    [end quote]

    I notice that the HMB that is posting here has signed his posts "H. Binder" which H. Bogner fails to mention.

    Anyway, apart from the elections and mudslinging and all, the practice of using someone's well-known handle to deceive your readers as to the poster's identity is an issue you should address. If somebody such Mr. Bogner were to approach you out of real concern that someone was using their identity to post on your blogs then some action should be taken. Not for politics' sake, but because you want to run a top-level, professional blog.

    Trouble is, what can one do if one does not have contact info to the parties involved?

     
  • At Sunday, January 14, 2007 12:28:00 AM, Blogger Chess Daily News said…

    Jack, unless someone does it intentionally and maliciously, I would assume that it is just a coincidence to have matching initials. My sister Sofia and I have the same initials too :)

    And by the way, this blog requires registration. Therefore, that is being done by Google and I do not expect too many problems. I have not seen the hmb over here posting anything bad.

    Best wishes,
    Susan Polgar
    www.PolgarChess.com

     
  • At Sunday, January 14, 2007 12:32:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just read my comment again. This was addressing the general issue. As for the particular issue of HMB, I don't think that Hal ever contacted Susan; he just wanted to attack.

    I was thinking of in the future, if somebody were really concerned about people mistaking somebody else's comment for their own and not just wanting to attack.

     
  • At Sunday, January 14, 2007 2:13:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The only problem with the HB Global Challenge was the location. You have to spend money to make money. I know they got a great deal having it where they did, but imagine if they had the event somewhere else?

    If that event was in New York it would have been the greatest open event in US history.

     
  • At Sunday, January 14, 2007 5:35:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The HB Global Challenge was a once in a lifetime event for many who attended. I am sure that most of the young people who attended will remember for the rest of their life. Thanks to Maurice for the experience. If someone tries this again, there are a few changes:
    1. Agree- location was bad.
    2. The dates were horrible. Many people I know are involved in education and few of them could go.
    3. The state societies and USCF dropped the ball (no surprise here). I wonder sometimes if they think that they compete against each other. They don't- they compete for discretionary recreation money.

    I hope someone can revive this professional event.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home