US Chess Discussion

Welcome! This blog has no connection with the USCF. It's a blog where I provide chess fans with general information about US Chess as well as the USCF. It's also a site where everyone can productively discuss or ask questions about various USCF issues! Your contributions and comments are welcome! PLEASE KEEP IT CIVIL & RESPECT OTHERS! Enjoy! All posts that do not meet this guideline will be deleted -- WIN WITH GRACE, LOSE WITH DIGNITY!(TM) --- 2006 Susan PolgarĀ©

Friday, January 12, 2007

Blocked Website


An interesting thing happened earlier today. I had to go to court this morning to obtain some forms. While I was in court, I checked my email and posting messages from my blogs. Everything was fine.

When I tried to log on www.uschess.org, the access was blocked. A message popped up with a sentence something like: "Access denied! You've tried to enter an inappropriate website."

I first thought that the court Internet does not allow accessing any website. So I double checked by typing www.SusanPolgar.com. It went through. So I checked www.SusanPolgarFoundation.org. It also went through. Then I checked www.SusanPolgar.blogspot.com. No problem again!

I then typed the USCF website again and the same message came up. Does that mean that the NY court find the USCF website inappropriate?
Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

  • At Friday, January 12, 2007 3:52:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    There are various different filters that use many different techniques. I'm guessing the filter in question was very pessimistic in its approach.

    For example "cockpit" is a common word that causes a lot of filters to mark a site as bad.

     
  • At Friday, January 12, 2007 4:14:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    There are filters which maintain lists of popular "Game" sites to prevent users from tying up computers on supposedly frivolous things. It's likely that USCF has a "Game" or "Chess" tag, which flagged it for filtering. Your website, not similarly "tagged", might have made it through. No filter is perfect. Many companies use such filters to keep their employees from wasting time on the internet.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home