US Chess Discussion

Welcome! This blog has no connection with the USCF. It's a blog where I provide chess fans with general information about US Chess as well as the USCF. It's also a site where everyone can productively discuss or ask questions about various USCF issues! Your contributions and comments are welcome! PLEASE KEEP IT CIVIL & RESPECT OTHERS! Enjoy! All posts that do not meet this guideline will be deleted -- WIN WITH GRACE, LOSE WITH DIGNITY!(TM) --- 2006 Susan PolgarĀ©

Thursday, January 11, 2007

My take on the upcoming election


Q: Why did you decide to run in the next USCF Executive Board election?

A: I love chess and I cannot stand by while US Chess and the USCF suffer from the unprofessional conduct of some of its officers. We have to do better and gain back lost sponsors and supporters. Drastic changes are in order for this federation to move in the right direction.

With four open seats, the future of the USCF depends on the upcoming Executive Board election. The USCF is one of the most important chess organizations in the United States. It is supposed to be a role model for other groups.

For positive change to happen, the members must vote in the most qualified candidates with the highest level of professionalism. We need strong leadership to rally the entire membership. That is why I decided to run and that is also why I asked some of the most qualified people to help. I cannot do it alone. It takes a team of people in order to be successful.

I searched for people with specific talents and a passion for chess, who have the integrity, professionalism, and experience to do what is right for US Chess and the USCF.

* Paul Truong:

He is a very unique individual, with an incredibly inspiring life story. His ethics, integrity and passion for chess is second to none. He is also one of the most knowledgeable people in chess marketing and PR. Paul has been the mastermind behind many of the incredible projects for the Susan Polgar Foundation and he is my most trusted advisor.

Without proper and professional marketing and PR, chess will go nowhere and no sponsorship will come. He will be instrumental in restoring the good reputation of the USCF in order to increase revenues through additional memberships, sponsorships and advertising, etc.

* Dr. Mikhail Korenman:

He is well-respected by many and he has certainly proven himself in many areas. He was the mastermind behind the Chess for Peace project and is a member of the USCF Scholastic Council.

He has the experience, talent and passion to help the USCF. We need strong cooperation between adult, college and scholastic chess, and Dr. Korenman has the perfect personality and demeanor to succeed in this area.

* NM Randy Bauer:

He has been actively involved as a chess player, coach, director, writer, editor, and elected state and national representative for over thirty years. He is a life member of the USCF, a national master, former Iowa state champion and Minnesota junior, junior high and senior high champion. As a competitor, he has won over thirty Grand Prix tournaments.

Randy has over twenty years professional experience in budget and finance, including nearly seven years as budget director for the State of Iowa. During that time, the State received multiple national awards for innovation and excellence in its budget processes and financial reporting.

As I mentioned last month, the new candidates must be able to:

- Restore the respectability and credibility of the USCF.
- Restore a balanced budget.
- Restore the strong cooperation between adult, collegiate, youth and scholastic chess. The USCF needs to support and promote all its membership categories.
- Recognize that the USCF is in need of Professional Marketing.
- It is up to us to take back control of the USCF. The members have the power to elect the best people to fix the problems.

Source: ChessCafe.com
Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

  • At Thursday, January 11, 2007 12:23:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Susan, last month you stated that you would be announcing which candidates you will endorse after the nominations have been closed and the final list of candidates known. Does this post constitute an endorsement or are you still evaluating the merits of the rest of the field?

     
  • At Thursday, January 11, 2007 12:40:00 PM, Blogger Chess Daily News said…

    I spoke about Mr. Korenman, Bauer and Truong many times. I personally asked them to run because of their top of the line experience and integrity.

    I know Mr. Jim Berry. He and his brother Frank have done so much for chess in Oklahoma. He is another good candidate.

    Most people know Mr. Schultz. They can evaluate his performance for themselves.

    I know nothing about Mr. Joe Lux. However, from what I saw in his comments and questions in the USCF forum, I would not vote for him. Why? The simple fact is reality. The reality is MOST of the USCF members DO NOT read the USCF forum. Most USCF members do not even know about the forum. I have a real concern if anyone thinks that the forum is the USCF mainstream. I take the issues to the USCF members, not to a bunch of people who disagree with each other about everything.

    I know nothing about Mr. Stephen Jones.

    I know Mr. Mike Goodall. I have nothing against him. However, I did not vote for him last time and I will not vote for him this time. There are stronger candidates who can bring more to the board.

    As for the last candidate, as I clearly stated many times, he does not belong on the board. He is unfit to serve on the board.

    Best wishes,
    Susan Polgar
    www.PolgarChess.com

     
  • At Thursday, January 11, 2007 1:42:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Susan,
    I think you have brought a very strong group of people forward as candidates. I haven't decided on all four spots yet, but your positive, informative comments are certainly helping.

    My views may be somewhat different, but I think we'd agree on many issues and candidates.

    On the subject of the other candidates, I'm inclined to agree with you that Jim Berry would also be a good candidate. Also, from what I've heard, Mr. Jones may be a good choice.

    I have to admit that I just haven't been able to form a firm opinion of Joe Lux yet.

    I'm afraid I'd be less pleased with the other candidates.

    I wish Mr. Schultz had kept his promise to not run again. He's done a lot for US Chess and I don't really want to dwell on the negative as the campaigns go forward this year. His past associations (with you-know-who) and the actions that caused him to step down as Secretary of the USCF are just too much political baggage, IMO.

    I'm afraid my comments would tend to go downhill from there, so I'd better stop.

     
  • At Thursday, January 11, 2007 2:23:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My big question is what can we do to help you right now? I gather that posting on the USCF Forums is not much help.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home