US Chess Discussion

Welcome! This blog has no connection with the USCF. It's a blog where I provide chess fans with general information about US Chess as well as the USCF. It's also a site where everyone can productively discuss or ask questions about various USCF issues! Your contributions and comments are welcome! PLEASE KEEP IT CIVIL & RESPECT OTHERS! Enjoy! All posts that do not meet this guideline will be deleted -- WIN WITH GRACE, LOSE WITH DIGNITY!(TM) --- 2006 Susan PolgarĀ©

Sunday, June 03, 2007

A call for peace and unity for the sake of chess


Since I announced my candidacy for the USCF Executive Board, my life has been turned upside down. It is one thing I would not recommend my worst enemy to do. I am being harassed, threatened, insulted and attacked just about every single day. And that is a good day.

I would like to thank the countless of you who called me, emailed me and posted supporting messages. I really appreciate it. This election is not about me. Believe me, volunteering 4 years of my time to be treated like a caged animal is not something anyone would look forward to. But I made my decision to run because I had to. I had no choice. I cannot stand looking in from the outside and see what is being done to our sport. It is disheartening to me.

I have achieved everything I set out to do and more in chess. I could walk away from this sport and be proud and content. But I cannot. I owe it to chess, the sport that gave me so much in the past 34 years. I owe it to all the people who have supported me over the years. I owe it to the countless parents I met, people who sacrificed so much to give valuable opportunities to their children. I owe it to the thousands of players I faced or made acquaintance with over the years. I owe it to my children as a chess Mom. I cannot leave seeing the current state of the USCF. I will fight for its welfare and integrity with every ounce of energy that I have.

I have been bombarded with calls, emails and posts in the past 24-48 hours from friends and supporters, expressing their anger and outraged with the recent post card and email that they received from the USCF President Bill Goichberg and Continental Chess Association. I understand that the message was quite insulting and demeaning. It is disappointing. I understand that every tactic is being used by some people to win this election.

However, I urge all of you to show respect to Mr. Goichberg. He has done a lot for US Chess and the USCF over the years. Hatred and animosity will not help the USCF. It will only further divide the membership and further weakens this federation. I ask you to rise above them. We will address the issues while they deal with politics. We have a strong vision while they are still seeking for the light at the end of the tunnel. We will win because we are more qualified, more passionate and more energetic, and not because we can scream louder or destroy more.

If we do not do things differently, we would just be joining their path of failure and destruction year after year. Let's show them our voice with our votes and not insults. Let's unite and do the right things for the sake of US Chess and the USCF. Thank you for your support and thank you for doing the right things.

Best wishes,
Susan Polgar
Posted by Picasa

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home